Skip Navigation LinksHome Parent Resources Registering your child for school Proof of Residency
Proof of Residency

When registering for enrollment into any Harford County public school, proof that the student is domiciled in Harford County with the child’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s) is required. Proof of residency must be updated each time residency changes.

The following are types of acceptable documentation that may be acceptable for proof of residency:
  • Current monthly utility bill dated within 90 days of enrollment (e.g. BGE, Comcast, Verizon, landline phone). The utility bill must show name, service address, usage and charge. Note: a Start Up Notice or pink Turn Off Notice is not acceptable.
  • Settlement papers or a lease agreement must be submitted to the Pupil Personnel Worker (PPW) in your attendance area if the family is new to Harford County or has recently changed residence. A follow-up utility bill will be required.

All documents must be originals, dated within 90 days of registration.

Examples of documents that are unacceptable as proof of residency:
  • Driver’s license
  • Property tax bill
  • Water bill
  • Cell phone pill

Families who do not have a house or apartment of their own, but live with a relative or friend, are required to submit a notarized Multi-Family Affidavit as proof of residency for each year the student and parent/guardian are in a shared housing/multi-family living arrangement. Review of the multi-family/shared living arrangement will be conducted by the Pupil Personnel Worker (PPW) in your attendance area. Special documentation must be on file.