Currently, the Board of Education pays up to 90% of the premium for coverage selected by the employee. Employees may select
from three health insurance programs: an HMO plan and two PPO plans. We also offer two dental plan options
with Delta Dental. Employees enrolled in any HCPS medical plan are provided prescription coverage with their
A voluntary Term Life plan is offered to all permanent benefit eligible employees. Employees may choose one times their salary, rounded to the nearest thousand, for Basic Life with Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance. Additionally, employees may choose one to six times their salary, rounded for the nearest thousand, for Supplemental Life insurance. Currently, the Board of Education pays 90% of the premium for Basic Life with AD&D insurance, and the employee is responsible for 100% of the premium for Supplemental Life insurance.
Job-related coursework or training programs are eligible for partial tuition reimbursement. Currently, HCPS will reimburse
up to $175 per credit. A letter grade of “C” or better is required.
Harford County Public Schools participates in the Maryland State Teachers/Employees Pension System. Membership is mandatory
for all permanent employees working at least 500 budgeted hours per fiscal year. The pension system is contributory
and employees are required to contribute 7% of their annual salary towards their membership.
HCPS provides an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) to all employees which is administered by KEPRO. Sometimes
personal and family problems can have a direct impact on personal well being and work performance. Getting
timely, professional help can result in a healthier, more productive individual. HCPS recognize the value
in assisting employees to find the best possible help in a timely manner.
The State and FBI costs for obtaining the Criminal Background Investigation required by the State of Maryland are paid by
All employees are covered persons under the Casualty Scope of Coverage and School Board Legal Liability Scope of Coverage
while acting within the scope of their duties. This coverage provides a liability limit of $100,000 plus
defense costs to employees.
The Board of Education provides a selection of Tax Deferred Compensation (457B & 403B) plans for all employees through Lincoln
Non-certificated employees shall be granted six (6) calendar days of leave for the death of a member of the employee’s immediate
Employees shall receive a total of three (3) work days per year with no loss to salary that may be used for personal business.
Twelve-month employees accrue annual leave based on years of continuous service.
The Board of Education of Harford County provides workers' compensation insurance for all employees. Each employee is covered
to the extent required by the Workers' Compensation Law of Maryland.
UPDATE: JUNE 23, 2021
The following message will be sent to all families with a student entering third grade in the 2021-2022 school year via phone, email, and text at 5:00 p.m.
Each year our second-grade students transition to a new log in name when they enter third grade. In preparation for the new school year please be advised that between Wednesday, July 6 and Friday, July 8, 2021, second grade student log in names will change from the format of studentID@student.hcps.org to the firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
UPDATE: JUNE 22, 2021
The following message will be sent via phone, email, and text to all contacts in our mass communication system at 5:00 p.m.
The Board of Education of Harford County is pleased to share details for the first hybrid meeting of 2021. On July 12, the Board business meeting, will have a 50-seat capacity available to the public. Seats will be available on a first come-first served basis. In-person public comment will be limited to those who are seated in the Board room. Doors will open at 6:00 p.m. and the meeting will begin at 6:30 p.m. Masks will be optional in the Board room.
The option to provide virtual public comment will still be available. Those wishing to use the virtual public comment option will need to sign up in advance. The Board will continue to implement a two-hour time limit on public comment. Those wishing to make virtual public comment will need to register by 9:00 a.m. on July 12.
UPDATE: JUNE 16, 2021
The following message will be sent via phone, email, and text to all contacts in our mass communication system at 10:00 a.m.
On Tuesday, June 15, Governor Hogan announced that the state of emergency and mask mandate will be lifted effective July 1 for the state of Maryland. As of July 1, Harford County Public Schools will adhere to the Governor’s announcement and will remove the mask mandate in all HCPS schools and offices. This means that for all in-person summer school instruction and summer programs, students, and staff, will not be required to wear masks as of July 1. If you would like your child to continue wearing a mask in school, please instruct your child to do so. In addition, for the 4th of July events that occur after July 1, students and chaperones may choose to wear masks, but HCPS will not require masks during 4th of July events occurring after July 1. Participants will still need to follow any parade committee guidelines. We expect to begin the 2021-2022 school year without masks. We will continue to dialogue with the Harford County Health Department, as well as review CDC and MSDE guidance around schools and best practice response to COVID-19 throughout the summer. We hope you have a wonderful summer.
UPDATE: JUNE 15, 2021
BOARD OF EDUCATION OF HARFORD COUNTY
NOTICE OF PUBLIC COMMENT PARTICIPATION
BUSINESS MEETING – JUNE 21, 2021 – 6:30PM
The Board of Education of Harford County Business Meeting will be held on June 21, 2021 at 6:30PM with only Board Members, staff, and presenters in attendance virtually. The meeting will be streamed live and archived for later viewing on the HCPS Website.
Public Comment Participation Call-In Process
Community members who wish to provide comments during the Public Comments segment of the Business meeting are required to register by completing this form Public Comment Registration Form, https://www.hcps.org/boe/publiccommentrequest.aspx
Registrations must be received by 9:00AM on Monday, June 21, 2021. All fields on the registration form must be completed.
First and Last name
1. Registered speakers will receive an email from HCPS with a Call-in Phone # and a Conference ID #.
2. Registered speakers are required to call-in and enter the conference ID# at 6:30PM on Monday, June 21, 2021.
3. Important: If you are unable to take your phone off mute, you may need to dial *6.
4. All speakers, regardless of affiliation, will receive 3-minutes per speaker. Speakers may be interrupted and be given notice when they have 30 seconds left. When speakers have reached their 3-minute mark, callers will be removed from the meeting.
5. The Board has allotted two-hours for the Public Comments segment of the Business meeting.
6. If you are admitted from the virtual lobby to the meeting within the two-hour time constraint, you will be placed on hold and greeted by an HCPS staff member when it is time to begin your public comment. Expected hold time may vary based on number of registered speakers. The maximum wait time in the lobby is 30 minutes; should you be disconnected please call back.
7. Registration forms are limited to one (1) per person.
8. In accordance with Board policy, if the number of speakers impede the ability of the Board to complete scheduled business, the Board reserves the right to reduce the amount of time allotted per speaker, or overall time allotted for public comment.
9. The Board expects that all comments will be submitted with the decorum and respect appropriate to the conduct of public business.
10. Topics such as personnel matters, pending appeals, specific student disciplinary matters or which constitute commercial solicitations are not permitted.
11. Disparaging comments, personal attacks, and inflammatory remarks about specific schools or personnel are not permitted. Speakers who engage in these comments will be reminded of the rules and the Board reserves the right to remove the speaker from the call.
12. All public comments submitted will be part of the records maintained by the Board office.
Speakers are reminded that public comments are considered public information and, as such, are subject to the Maryland Public Information Act.
UPDATE: JUNE 15, 2021
This message is being sent to all parents and guardians with a student entering 12th grade in the 2021-22 school year. The information will be sent via our mass communication system phone, email, and text, at 5:00 p.m.
Harford Community College (HCC) and Harford County Public Schools (HCPS) invite students entering 12th grade in the 2021-2022 school year to join HCC for one of two virtual events on July 20, 2021 from 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or on July 21, 2021 from 5-7:30 p.m. The virtual event will highlight dual enrollment opportunities at HCC for the 2021-22 school year.
Students, parents, and guardians are welcome to attend. You will hear what it’s like to be a dual enrolled student from students currently enrolled. You will have the opportunity to participate in a virtual campus tour and hear about the resources available at HCC, like the learning center, library, and more. In addition, HCC will discuss the multiple apps, study groups, and “how-to’s” like using technology, study groups and more, that will be necessary for dual enrolled students.
Students may register here.
6/23/2021 9:15:53 AM